Re: The window-pub branch

From: Štěpán Němec
Subject: Re: The window-pub branch
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 16:44:50 +0100

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:

>> 1. Automatic vertical window splitting is uneven -- whereas in trunk
>> Emacs (even with tool- and menu- bars on) one gets evenly (vertically)
>> split windows, in window-pub the new window is noticeably higher; could
>> it be that it tries to match height of the new window to the old one
>> _plus_ the GUI bars and mode line?. Somewhat interestingly, doing a
>> vertical split manually with `C-x 2' does produce evenly split windows.
>
> Currently this is by design.  The minimum height of a new window (and
> its width) are specified by the min-height (min-width) specifiers and
> `display-buffer' tries to make it at least as high (wide) as this at the
> expense of the window that was split.  That is, there are two cases:
>
> (1) If the height of the old window is at least as large as two times
>     min-height, splitting is done evenly.
>
> (2) If the size of the old window is at least as large as min-height
>     plus window-min-height, the new window gets min-height lines and the
>     old window the rest.
>
> The purpose of (2) was that applications sometimes want a window with a
> specific height and I wanted to accomodate that somehow.
>
> If people think it's not useful or bad, I can easily rewrite that part.

Well, it definitely feels very disruptive to me, and from what you write
I don't see a simple way to get rid of that behaviour. I believe at
least `even-window-sizes' should take precedence over the
min-{height-width} settings (or perhaps we could use (even-window-sizes
. force) or something?).

  Štěpán