Re: Emacs tool bar on Fedora14

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs tool bar on Fedora14
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 15:39:23 -0500

>>> ** GTK tool bars can have just text, just images or images and text.
>>> Customize `tool-bar-style' to choose style.  On a Gnome desktop, the
>>> default is taken from the desktop settings.
>> BTW, I couldn't figure out how to customize it in Gnome.  I do remember
>> seeing such an option somewhere (maybe in gnome-appearance-properties)
>> at some point in the past, but I can't seem to find it any more.
> There used to be an Interface tab in Appearance but it has been removed by
> the Gnome people.  I guess that is logical, as they seem to move
> towards a customization-free desktop.  They decided that both-horiz (icon
> followed by text) is what everybody should have.
> Now you have to edit gconf directly either with gconf-editor or with

> % gconftool-2 --set --type string  /desktop/gnome/interface/toolbar_style both

> Other values are both-horiz, text or icons.

I think we should mention it in our documentation.  And I also think
there's something more going on: when I try gedit with various settings
of /desktop/gnome/interface/toolbar_style, it's clear that in both-horiz
setting, only some of the buttons get their text, whereas with Emacs
they all do.
That means that both-horiz is quite bearable with gedit but not
with Emacs.  And since both-horiz is the default, I think we need to
figure out how to do the same as gedit does (i.e. specify which toolbar
buttons need to have the text displayed in both-horiz and which don't).

        Stefan