Re: elpa.gnu.org repository sync with Emacs

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: elpa.gnu.org repository sync with Emacs
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 12:44:49 -0700

>>>>> "Lars" == Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

Lars> I don't honestly see how this helps either Emacs users or people who hack
Lars> on Emacs.

I can name a few benefits.

One is that a big package like gnus, with its own release schedule, can
push updates to elpa.gnu.org between Emacs releases.  This helps gnus
users.  (And, due to the way package activation is done, when such a
user upgrades Emacs, the right thing will still happen.)

Another benefit is that by being in Emacs, it provides elisp authors
some simple packaging guidelines.  My hope is that over time, most 3rd
party elisp will follow these rules (meaning it will be trivial for
users to install the code, regardless of how they get it).  I also hope
the distros move to using package.el for elisp activation.

Tom