Re: [emacs-bidi] Treatment of LRE,RLE,LRO,RLO,PDF,LRM,RLM

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Treatment of LRE,RLE,LRO,RLO,PDF,LRM,RLM
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 12:57:27 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> > (2) For Windows port:
> >
> > I wrote x_draw_glyphless_glyph_string_foreground (in
> > w32term.c) by referring to x_draw_glyph_string_foreground in
> > the same file.  But, it doesn't draw acronym nor hexa-code.
> > I couldn't figure out what is wrong.  Please someone who
> > knows Windows code fix it.

> I fixed this.  The problem was that w32_draw_rectangle wiped out what
> was drawn inside it; I switched the order, so the box is drawn before
> the glyphs inside it.

Are, I see.  Thank you for fixing it.

> Assuming that on X the order doesn't matter (does it?), perhaps we
> should switch the order there as well, for uniformity.

Perhaps.

> In addition, I did this:

>  . renamed glyphless-char-control to glyphless-char-display-control

>  . renamed hexa-code to hex-code.

Thank you.

>  . changed TTY display top enclose U+nnnn and "empty box" displays in
>    "[]", to simulate a box and make the display easier to read.

For U+NNNN, I decided not to use "[]" because it takes too
many columns.  I thought underline or some background color
(customizable through a face) was enough.  Don't you think 8
columns (instead of 6 columns) is annoying?

>  . documented this feature in NEWS and in the manual.

I dared not write that because I have not yet made my mind
which is better; current glyphless-char-display or extending
the normal display-table.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden