Re: Searching bugs before filing new ones (was: Re: bug#7419: 24.0.50; e

From: Andrew W. Nosenko
Subject: Re: Searching bugs before filing new ones (was: Re: bug#7419: 24.0.50; emacs -Q -nw positions cursor in empty lines on the second column)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 18:40:07 +0200

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 12:14, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> From: Tassilo Horn <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 08:48:18 +0100
>>
>> It would be great if M-x report-emacs-bug would query for "Bug keywords"
>> first (e.g., tty cursor column), then somehow query the bug database and
>> show a buffer with possibly related bug subjects including links to the
>> bugtracker.  Then a user should be able to either say "nope, I have a
>> different bug" and file a new one, or attach to one of the listed bugs.
>
> Yes, it would be nice to have such a feature.

Usually, in general case, an user that reports a bug has not enough
skills and knowledge in the area for be sure that a bug, which he
going to report, and a bug, which found by pre-submit query, are
duplicates indeed.  Therefore, request he to make such decition is
just unfair (and ineffective).

If finding of potencial duplicates may be automated indeed, then I
would to create crontab job (for example) with this automated
searching and then publish the report somewhere (through www or
e-mail, for example) for following review by people with appropriate
knowledge.

--
Andrew W. Nosenko <address@hidden>