Re: The window-pub branch

From: grischka
Subject: Re: The window-pub branch
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 22:15:23 +0100

martin rudalics wrote:
If this doesn't work there's a bug in the code.  You could have tried to
debug where and how it fails :-(

"As a user" I don't debug ;)

I could replace these functions by pre-configured entries but how should an application select such an entry for a specific call?

Actually I've spend some thoughts on this already for ewm.  I'd
propose indirection:  That is, let application pass a label along
with the buffer.

For example, ediff could label its buffers 'ediff-A and 'ediff-B,
which would point to entries such as:

 (setq display-buffer-names '(
   ((ediff-A) <specifiers>)
   ((ediff-B) <specifiers>)
 ))

I guess, for emacs' own packages there is no problem as you can
have the entries pre-configured.  For other packages you might
invent some method that allows them to add entries on the fly
when they are first installed.

Specifiers are powerful because an application can specify where the
window shall appear and how it should look like.  This was not possible
before.  And wasn't it you who wanted to replace `set-window-buffer' and
`split-window' with `display-buffer' calls?

Indeed, but for the sole reason to completely ignore what the application
wants and instead let ewm show buffers where the user wants ;)

How could an application
encompass the power of the former by choosing among some pre-configured
entries?

Free users!  No power to applications!

martin