Re: vc-update for bzr etc.

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: vc-update for bzr etc.
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 13:31:23 +0900

Stefan Monnier writes:

 > VC tries to present a uniform UI and that is good, but trying to impose
 > a uniform semantics to all commands is asking too much.  So I think it's
 > perfectly OK for vc-pull/update to do "bzr pull" for Bzr and
 > "git pull" for Git, even if they don't do exactly the same thing.

bzr pull -- synchronize branch to parent exactly, never does a
            non-trivial merge, sometimes operates on a non-local
            branch and not on the workspace IIRC.
git pull -- merges branch into workspace, commits unless conflict,
            never affects a branch outside of the workspace.
hg pull  -- fetches branch, never updates workspace or affects a
            branch outside of the workspace.

I don't see the point of having a single command whose implementation
can vary so randomly.  That's not a uniform UI, that's a
nondeterministic one.

I agree that perfectly uniform semantics is not really possible, of
course.