Re: The window-pub branch

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: The window-pub branch
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 14:45:45 -0500

>>> But I'm not sure how to resolve the conflict when a matching entry can
>>> be found in both `display-buffer-names' and `display-buffer-symbols'.
>> If a single var is used, there's no such conflict.
> So why did we have two for the same-window- and special-display-
> options?

Beats me.

>> Stefan "who'd then be tempted to request some partial order on
>> the symbols used, so you can set an entry in
>> display-buffer-names for `ediff-sources' and have it
>> take effect for both `ediff-A' and `ediff-B' buffers."

> The values of my options currently specify a partial order with all name
> based values preceding the regexp based ones.  Do I understand correctly
> that you want, for example, show a buffer matching some regexp usually
> on a separate frame while ediff can override that and put it in one and
> the same frame together with the other buffer(s)?

I might want that, indeed, but what I wrote above is not directly
related, it's just that if ediff uses symbols `ediff-A' and `ediff-B',
I might like to be able to have a single entry that covers both (and
covers the ediff-ancestor one as well).  That would naturally extend to
a more general form of classification of buffers (e.g. `ediff' for all
things related to ediff... I'd probably also like to be able to use
a major-mode name as a classification).

        Stefan