Re: return

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: return
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 11:13:06 +0100

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Hmm, kinda annoying or not, I think it would be silly to add a
> slightly-incompatible form of return to elisp (regardless of whether it
> uses a new name or not); it's just confusing, for a very small gain.

I'd rather have return-from in Emacs Lisp than nothing, but I do think
the potential for confusion with, say, freturn, is pretty minimal.  It
does what you'd expect from almost all other languages -- return from
the current function.

I don't think this is a very important point, so I won't argue it
further (after this message), but if we have to possibility to add a new
language feature, I think we're slightly wasting an opportunity if we
don't make the new language feature as compelling as possible.

  address@hidden * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen