RE: The window-pub branch

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: The window-pub branch
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 07:38:49 -0800

>> Open a second frame, show *scratch*, go to the first frame, show
>> some file, type M-: (select-window (get-buffer-window "*scratch*" t))
>> type some more chars.
>>
>> For me, chars go to file (GTK and MS-Windows).
>
> A clear bug IMHO.  The command loop must switch focus here.

A clear bug?  Why?  It all depends what the intention (design) of `M-:' is.  It
sounds like you are trying to redesign it.

Yes, Lisp evaluation can have side effects, but AFAIK this behavior for `M-:'
was intentional.  `M-:' was meant to evaluate a sexp in a one-off operation, but
keep the input focus etc. where it was.  I think it has behaved this way since
Day One, and the behavior makes sense, to me at least.

IMO this has nothing to do with your surrounding window discussion; this part is
only about the interactive behavior of command `eval-expression'.

(But I admit that I don't even use `eval-expression' for `M-:' - I use
`pp-eval-expression' instead (or something similar) for `M-:'.)