per-buffer language environments

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: per-buffer language environments
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 16:25:03 +0100 (CET)

According to the documentation, set-language-environent acts globally.
However, at least for CJK documents, it would be very helpful if this
could be controlled on a per-buffer basis[1].  For example, on my
GNU/Linux box with latin-1 as the default langauge environment, while
editing some Japanese text, I see the katakana glyphs from the
`simsun' font which look particularly ugly.  Assuming that I edit a
Chinese text in parallel, a Japanese font from a Japanese language
environment would miss most of the Chinese characters, causing
fallback character substitution which looks ugly again...

   Werner

[1] An extension of this would be enriched text which supports
multiple language environments within a buffer.