Re: Get a command by its keybinding and also respecting key translation

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Get a command by its keybinding and also respecting key translation
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 11:19:40 +0100

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Andreas,

>> Or with an example:
>>
>> (defmacro define-context-key (keymap key dispatch)
>>   `(define-key ,keymap ,key
>>      (backquote
>>       (menu-item "context-key" ignore
>>                  :filter (lambda (&optional ignored)
>>                            ,dispatch)))))
>>
>> How do I smuggle a `,' before the lambda?
>
> First, backquote != `.

It is not?  From backquote.el:

  (defalias '\` (symbol-function 'backquote))

And describe-function returns the same (except the name) for both ``'
and `backquote'.

> Then just put it there.
>
> (defmacro define-context-key (keymap key dispatch)
>   `(define-key ,keymap ,key
>      `(menu-item "context-key" ignore
>                  :filter ,(lambda (&optional ignored)
>                            ,dispatch))))

Oh, that does work.  I just didn't grasp that I can use `,' to evaluate
inside forms that are already evaluated as a whole.

Thanks,
Tassilo