Re: DocView now supports OpenDocument & MS Office formats

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: DocView now supports OpenDocument & MS Office formats
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 09:35:08 +0100

MON KEY <address@hidden> writes:

> Whichever. Thanks to Tasillo et al for endeavoring to make ODF format
> available to Emacs users.
>
> I just find it unfortunate that the feature has the
> python/pyuno/UNO/OpenOffice/Java dependencies.

I've installed OO.org as precompiled binary and unoconv.  The UNO and
python bindings seem to be included in OO.org out of the box.  And
python and java are probably installed anyway.  (I mean, you even need
python to fetch Emacs source code.)

> It would be nice to have an ODF conversion interface which isn't so
> heavy, potentially insecure, or so fundamentally antithetical to the
> KISS of Emacs' plain text.

I don't know what you mean by insecure and antithetical.  DocView uses
unoconv in a way that it simply starts a local, headless OO.org instance
that does the conversion and exits.  And both tools are free software.

And that it can work remotely (as a kind of SaaS) is not a bad thing in
itself: As long as the service is provided by free software, I can setup
and study the service locally and don't lose my freedoms, right?

Bye,
Tassilo