Re: bug#7517: 24.0.50; repeated crash under Mac OS X

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: bug#7517: 24.0.50; repeated crash under Mac OS X
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 12:55:52 +0900

Jan Djärv writes:

 > But not in this case.  The given string is not decoded right with undecided.
 > detect-coding-string doesn't list iso-8859-8.  I think choosing between
 > iso-8859-x is difficult.  Still, VM should know the coding used.

It does for standards conforming mail.  But VM can't do anything when
people put literal 8-bit codes in the headers without MIME encoding,
which still happens occasionally in legit mail (and is very frequent
in abusive mail), or in the body without a Content-Type charset
parameter.  It has to leave that up to Emacs, or recode to UNKNOWN
(aka application/octet-stream).

VM used to quite ornery about such stuff, and simply refuse to deal
with it.  It's gotten lax in its old age, I guess.