Re: bzr vs. git repository

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bzr vs. git repository
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 11:52:17 +0200

> Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 09:28:38 +0100 (CET)
> From: Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>
>
> As you can see, bzr still needs about three times more bandwidth in
> both receiving and sending...

So what?  In my testing, both on GNU/Linux and on MS-Windows,
update/pull times are very similar (with bzr slightly _faster_ on
GNU/Linux).  That includes the initial "bzr branch" vs "git clone" (10
min for bzr vs 15 for git).  Other common operations are mostly
comparable as well.  (A great surprise was "annotate", which, for
xdisp.c, took 1 minute with bzr, but a whopping 4.5 minutes with git.
But I see that as a curiosity.)

I don't think this will convince anyone to switch, but frankly, I no
longer understand what is all that fuss with git's speed.  Coupled
with the fact that the git repository seems to be updated only once in
a while, I see no good reasons to use git at all, at least not for
reasons of speed.