Re: Indexed search with grep-like output

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Indexed search with grep-like output
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 22:15:25 +0100

On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 20:24:53 +0100
>>
>> This kind of search is quite nice for quickly looking up things in for
>> example Emacs code
>
> The GNU Id-utils package already does that for searching identifiers
> in program source code.  The package comes with id-utils.el, which
> implements the Emacs front-end for it, and produces grep-like output.

Nice. I have never seen it.

However that does not use a modern indexed database that is
automatically incrementally updated. (I would propose extracting the
scanner part from it and using that for other databases, but that is
another project, nothing for Emacs.)

And it does not handle text queries like those you are interested in
when you are using Org mode.