Re: bug#7517: 24.0.50; repeated crash under Mac OS X

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bug#7517: 24.0.50; repeated crash under Mac OS X
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 08:10:06 -0500

> Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 04:50:45 +0000
> From: Uday S Reddy <address@hidden>
> Cc: Uday S Reddy <address@hidden>,
>     address@hidden,
>     address@hidden
>
> Eli Zaretskii writes:
>
> > Why, doesn't
> >
> >    (coding-system-get FOO :mime-charset)
> >
> > work for you, or isn't TRT in this case?
>
> The FOO in this case is a coding-system?

Yes.

> But VM doesn't know what coding-system to use.  It has to find the
> coding-system based on the mime-charset.
>
> It received a string that is encoded in the MIME charset
> "iso-8859-8-i".  It tried to find an Emacs coding system that had this
> mime-charset property.  But there wasn't any.  So it gave up.

If the attempt to find a coding-system by its MIME charset fails, I
think VM should try using the string as the name of a coding-system.
Would that work?

> Note that (coding-system "iso-8859-8-i" :mime-charset) returns
> "iso-8859-8".

Right, because iso-8859-8-i is an alias.

> What I am doing now is to see if there is a coding-system with the
> same name as the mime-charset.

I think you should do both, and try looking up MIME charset first.

> When I don't find a coding-system with the given name, I am using
> 'undecided, which is what I think you reocmmended.  This at least gets
> us out of the unibyte string problem, even though what is produced is
> normally gibberish.

That could be the last resort.

> That is what I thought.  But the OP is getting the "bad coding" text
> even if a multibyte string is used as the buffer name.  So, perhaps
> there is a still problem there.

Maybe.

> The problem should show up if you do
>
> (generate-new-buffer "שולח דואר אלקטרוני")
>
> and switch to that buffer Emacs.

At least on MS-Windows (which is what I have here), I see no
problems.  The text is displayed correctly and is legible.