Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 14:13:17 +0100

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

>> When Alt-F4 is delegated to Windows, it generates events for closing the
>> active window.
>
> Good points, but did you verify that it generates an event for closing
> the active window (and not for quitting the application as the doc at
> MS seems to suggest)?

The default behavior for Alt-F4 is to generate a WM_CLOSE message that
is sent to the active window. The usual reaction is to destroy the
window, which means that if we are dealing with the application's main
window the application is terminated as well. WM_CLOSE is generated too
by the "Close" button on the top left corner of the window. Emacs
handles WM_CLOSE in w32term.c around line 4700. Emacs behaves as
described above: kills the current frame.