Re: completion-ignored-extensions: match full file names

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: completion-ignored-extensions: match full file names
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 20:51:06 -0500

> From: David Reitter <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 19:54:49 -0500
>
> I gave several git repositories a ".git" ending in order to comply with the
> requirements of a program that comes with git (GitX).  One repository in the
> same directory does not have the ".git" extension.
>
> Completion always choose the one directory without the extension, because
> `completion-ignored-extensions' contains ".git/".  So, matching ".git/" is a
> bit too general - I'd rather match something like "^\.git" in order to just
> exclude the internal ".git" directories.  Is that possible, and if not, would
> be it easy to realize?

Each element of completion-ignored-extensions is matched at the _end_
of the file/directory name of the completion candidates.  So I think
currently what you want is not possible.

Using regexp syntax is not a good idea, IMO, since that would require
to rewrite all the customizations users out there have, to escape the
dot.  But I think we could make a change whereby if an element of
completion-ignored-extensions begins with a slash, that means match at
the beginning.  Then we could have "/.git/" as an element, and that
would ignore only the standard ".git" subdirectories, not any
directory that happens to end in ".git".

WDYT?