Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r102856: * admin/notes/bzr: Add an idiot's guid

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r102856: * admin/notes/bzr: Add an idiot's guide to merging between branches.
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 15:06:33 -0500

[you're replying to the diffs list again]

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> BTW, now that I think a bit harder about it, I think that if the merge
> conflicts show up after the first merge (bzrmerge alternates between
> merging revisions and skipping revisions), then the branch is not quite
> in a correct state (i.e. the file's content have been merged, but the
> metadata containing the merge history is not yet fully up-to-date): the
> difference is temporarily stored in the variable bzrmerge-already-done.
> Which means that committing at that point is not a good idea.

Oh, that might explain why `bzr status -v' did not show me all the
pending merge details I thought it should. I hope I haven't messed
things up by committing in that state.

> We should probably fix bzrmerge.el so that in such a case, before
> stopping with "Resolve conflicts manually", it should update
> bzr's metadata.

It would be nice if one could commit at that stage, since if you try
to merge everything before committing it can get confusing (I find).
But if not then there should at least be a big warning.