Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 15:37:56 +0100

grischka <address@hidden> writes:

>> What I really hoped to discuss where the technical difficulties. Emacs
>> does not currently have a way to let key binding fall back to the OS
>> binding. I am not sure it is trivial and I have forgotten the details.
>
> It is nontrivial to say the least.
>
> Unlike XEmacs, GNU Emacs is still a console application at its heart.
> It wants to "read" events in a loop from an input stream until it
> finds them complete as a "key-sequence".  No function seems to exist
> that could deal with events that are already read.

This is unnecesary. The Windows event loop coded into Emacs already
receives Alt-F4 in a single event. What is needed is to determine from
that event loop if there is a binding for Alt-F4 (created with *-set-key
etc). Once we know that there is no such binding, it is trivial to send
back the Alt-F4 event back to Windows.

[snip]