Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r102856: * admin/notes/bzr: Add an idiot's guid

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r102856: * admin/notes/bzr: Add an idiot's guide to merging between branches.
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 16:48:57 -0500

> Oh, that might explain why `bzr status -v' did not show me all the
> pending merge details I thought it should. I hope I haven't messed
> things up by committing in that state.

It's not too serious: it just means that some of the merges you've
performed aren't recorded in the merge history, so next time around
it'll try to merge them again, which should hopefully lead to conflicts
rather than incorrect code.

>> We should probably fix bzrmerge.el so that in such a case, before
>> stopping with "Resolve conflicts manually", it should update
>> bzr's metadata.

> It would be nice if one could commit at that stage,

Yes.  But I don't know how to coerce Bzr into changing the metadata when
there are conflicts.  So the best I could offer right now is a way to
"update metadata" *after* you've resolved the conflicts (it would
basically be a call like (bzrmerge-add-metadata <from>
bzrmerge-already-merged)).

> since if you try to merge everything before committing it can get
> confusing (I find).

I'm probably biased since bzrmerge was made specifically so as to be
able to "merge it all before committing", but I don't find it confusing.

> But if not then there should at least be a big warning.

Indeed.  I've added that just now.

        Stefan