Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 14:27:15 +0100

grischka <address@hidden> writes:

>> This is unnecesary too. Alt-F4 must work irrespectively of the prefix
>> keys typed so far: if you type C-x or C-h and then click on the Close
>> button on the top right of the frame, Emacs thinks you want to exit the
>> application. Alt-F4 must have the same effect as clicking that button
>> (when M-f4 is unbound on Emacs, hence the need for checking the binding
>> from the Windows event loop).
>
> A matter of taste.

Of consistency. Alt-F4 acts as the accelerator for the Close button and
the Close menu entry on the application system menu.

>>>     (global-set-key [M-f4] 'w32-syskey)
>>
>> If we go that route why not just bind M-f4 to a function that closes the
>> current frame, as suggested at the beginning of this thread?
>
> Because you want to support menu accelerators [Alt-<letter>] ?

I was not thinking along that line. The global binding at the Lisp level
is simplest solution, although maybe not the optimum: it doesn't trigger
the exit procedure when typed with the C-h prefix, but some may view
that as an advantage. Possibly putting M-f4 on the minibuffer keymap we
could emulate the behavior describe on the top paragraph.