Re: The X window system, yanking, and pasting using the mouse

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: The X window system, yanking, and pasting using the mouse
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 21:35:59 +0000

On 27/01/11 02:31, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
Hi,

         I have read the archives of this mailing list, and the release
  notes of the latest release candidate, and I am left somewhat
  confused. I am using the latest Emacs from Git.

This is what I have:
(setq
   transient-mark-mode   t                  ;show the marked region
   ;;; Behave like other X applications. This is confusing.
   x-select-enable-primary   t
   x-select-enable-clipboard t   ;;; cut/paste use clipboard
   select-active-regions 'only   ;;; temporarily active regions set the
                                 ;;; window selection.
   mouse-drag-copy-region t      ;;; copy dragged region to kill ring
  )

*** It is necessary to bind mouse-2 to mouse-yank-at-click to restore old behaviour. It is NOT PRESENTLY POSSIBLE to restore historical
emacs behaviour without a rebinding as well as customisation.

That is not to say it /shouldn't/ be possible to use solely customisation to restore the historical behaviour - I have recommended mouse-2 be bound back to mouse-yank-at-click, and mouse-yank-at-click then expanded to support both the standards-compliant and historical emacs behaviour, depending on a customisation. Third party code and other binding sites (e.g. the fringes) also make this approach preferable IMNHO.

All recent discussions of the matter on emacs-devel have convinced me that users /do not cope with rebinding/, even when directly told they need to rebind some of them simply refuse to do so. Possibly that's only because there's no GUI for keybinding reconfiguration, but that would be a large project compared to just reverting the mouse-2 binding and introducing the relevant boolean customisation.

First place in your ~/.emacs:

(global-set-key [mouse-2] 'mouse-yank-at-click)

Then do:

mouse-drag-copy-region t
select-active-regions nil
x-select-enable-primary t
x-select-enable-clipboard nil

I also acknowledge the customisations are confusing. I still do not see a way to make a saner scheme without breaking some source-code backward compatibility (n.b. a saner scheme should be possible with "user visible behaviour" backward compatibility.)