Re: Patch for fields of `struct buffer'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Patch for fields of `struct buffer'
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 12:02:30 -0500

> Another thing I realized I don't know is how thread-local let-bindings
> ought to interact with lexbind.

Good you mention, I was indeed just thinking that I had forgotten to
mention that the concurrency patch should be designed with the
assumption that all the code that natters can/will use lexical scoping
(i.e. dynamic let bindings of variables that are not buffer-local and
have no global value will be pretty much non-existent or not
performance-relevant).

> That is, if you make a closure, and then in the body of it you
> let-bind one of its captured variables, is that let-binding
> thread-local?

Variables that are captured by a closure are (by definition) lexically
scoped, so they should not be affected by
buffer/thread/keyboard-localness which only applies to
dynamically-scoped variables.

        Stefan