Re: Patch for fields of `struct buffer'

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Patch for fields of `struct buffer'
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 11:40:19 -0500

    RMS> Are you saying you would like to change it so that every access to
    RMS> a Lisp variable requires indirecting?

    Only potentially -- like today.

That is not a problem, then.

    For each global variable, the per-thread pointer will ordinarily point
    to the main thread's slot.  When the variable is let-bound, thus
    becoming thread-local, the pointer will be redirected to the slot in the
    per-thread structure.  When the outermost let-binding is undone, the
    pointer will be reset to the main thread's slot.

This seems to give the right semantics, but having a pointer in each thread
for each DEFVAR_LISP variable makes threads rather heavy.  How many such
variables are there now?  I'd expect thousands.

--
Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation