Re: attribute warn_unused_result

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: attribute warn_unused_result
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 16:14:03 -0500

> impossible to tell the compiler not to emit this warning by the
> "usual" C technique of using a cast.

Looks like a bug in gcc.  I'd be surprised if they accept this
qualification, but really what's the point of emitting a warning when
the user explicitly put a cast to void?

> Btw, isn't it ironic that gnulib, a GNU project, and all other GNU
> projects that use gnulib, need to jump through the hoops to work
> around misfeatures in glibc, one of the most important and core GNU
> projects?

I don't see how/why you'd consider it a misfeature of glibc.
The warning comes from gcc, AFAICT, and is generally a good one, it's
just that gcc should understand the standard way in C to say that you
want to discard a value.

        Stefan