Re: CC, CFLAGS, and -m32 [was Re: Pretest compilation problem]

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: CC, CFLAGS, and -m32 [was Re: Pretest compilation problem]
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 07:57:31 +0900

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:
>> You really should put -m32 into CC, since it is a different compiler.
>
> I've seen this advertized elsewhere, and it's off-topic for Emacs, but
> can you explain this to me?
>
> Eg `info make' says:
>
> `CC'
>      Program for compiling C programs; default `cc'.
>
> "gcc -m32" is not a program. It is a program plus some switches.

CC is just the first part of the command line invoked to compile things.
The term "program" is used because it's easy for humans to understand,
but the documentation is not a strict rule.

Standard practice is to use that form (CC="compiler + options") for
options that be should used consistently for all invocations of the
compiler... CFLAGS, by comparison is a bit unreliable.

-Miles

--
Learning, n. The kind of ignorance distinguishing the studious.