Re: Input method or help feature needed

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Input method or help feature needed
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 20:14:04 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> > The reason why the output is similar except for latin is
> > that I have implemented a special handler only for latin.
> > As I wrote, some other scripts (han, hangul, various Indic,
> > etc) should have their own handlers.

> Still, why have 2 commands instead of just one?  We could make it use
> all these improvements and enhancements.

(1) list-charset-chars lists characters with code-points of
    the specified charset, list-script-chars lists
    characters with Unicode code-points.

(2) These names are both charset and script, thus can't be
    distinguished just by names.
        lao, tibetan, ethiopic, symbol

(3) The name "list-charset-chars" is not suitable for what
    list-script-chars does.  If we are going to have just
    one command, the name should be, for instance,
    list-characters.

> > > as is the time for producing the list of script names
> > > if I type `?' at the "Script:" prompt.
> >
> > Really?  When I tested it, it was almost instant.

> It's slow only the first time.  Try in a fresh Emacs session.

It's still instant with a fresh Emacs session in my
environment.  Actually, the completion list is created by:

(mapcar 'symbol-name (char-table-extra-slot char-script-table 0))

It shouldn't be that slow.  Could you investigate why it's
slow for you?

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden