Re: Patch to fix the Bar Cursor Too Narrow problem on Mac OS X

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Patch to fix the Bar Cursor Too Narrow problem on Mac OS X
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 13:09:58 +0000 (UTC)

Chong Yidong <cyd <at> stupidchicken.com> writes:

> By the way, ns_draw_window_cursor really ought to be re-written to
> follow x_draw_window_cursor in xterm.c.  The current version is a mess.

OK, I'll bite on this since it's my code originally.  :-)  I deliberately chose
not to break into subfunctions like X since the clarity of having the whole
implementation in one block seemed greater than that gained by splitting out.
Also a number of redundancies in x_draw_bar_cursor() and x_draw_hollow_cursor()
are saved.  Opinions can vary, but calling one approach a "mess" while holding
the other up as a model seems a bit much, especially when long-function style is
used frequently throughout emacs.  I would say both could be improved.

As far as the width/cursor_width, maybe the parameter name could be changed to
"bar_cursor_width" or otherwise documented to indicate its intended use?

-Adrian