Re: make-progress-reporter suggestions: 'modeline and customizable progr

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: make-progress-reporter suggestions: 'modeline and customizable progress-reporter--pulse-characters
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 11:55:10 -0500

> OK, let's do it that way.  Are you happy with the way Michael's patch
> specifies it with %/?

I don't think we need a C-level change for this feature, so no %/.
Instead, we should use a Lisp variable.

CY> Another problem is that when you have lots of windows, each with its own
CY> mode-line, mode-lines become much less appealing locations for global
CY> indicators.  Ideally, you want to be able to glance at the same spot on
CY> the Emacs frame, regardless of which window is active.  (Using the
CY> mode-line to show the date, battery life, etc. is problematic for the
CY> same reason).

Yes, to me *that* is the problem with the global indicators: Emacs does
not have a "global" anything in general: it may have several frames,
none of which is more important than the other.

So I think the way to add global indicators will have to go through an
indirection: create a global thingy, and then let the user decide where
to display it (e.g. I'd display it in my minibuffer-only frame), and of
course it will sometimes be displayed more than once (e.g. I have one
minibuffer-only frame per display).

        Stefan