Re: exec-path question

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: exec-path question
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 09:50:30 +0100 (CET)

[Mark Tran <address@hidden> (2011-02-26 09:48:34 UTC)]

> Applications in OS X are not launched by your shell and therefore do not
> inherit it's environment variables. They're started through launchd.
>
> If you want Emacs.app to inherit environment variables then you can set user
> session environment variables in ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist.

An alternative, as far as the PATH and MANPATH variables goes, is to
set these from the contents of /etc/paths and /etc/paths.d/* (for
PATH) and /etc/manpaths and /etc/manpaths.d/* (for MANPATH).

I think it could be argued that emacs on the mac should do this by
default.

See also the code in /etc/profile and the path_helper manual page.

- Harald