Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 05:52:00 -0600

On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 11:01:38 +0100 Jan Djärv <address@hidden> wrote:

JD> I can make an load-dir feature in .emacs too.  It is having this in
JD> emacs core, working without extra user work that is the point.

I think it's clear there's quite a few users who want the load-dir
feature for various reasons.  The URLs I posted show that it's been
needed for a while now although no one thought to add it to Emacs.
package.el and el-get will not do what we're asking for.  As proposed
it's disabled by default so it won't matter to the users who don't want it.

I'd like to know if the maintainers have a reason NOT to put
user-load-dir in the core.  If we can proceed in the core, I'll propose
a specific patch and we can discuss that.  Otherwise I'll make it a
package in the GNU ELPA which is not as convenient but still usable.

Thanks
Ted