Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir

From: chad
Subject: Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 00:51:16 -0500

On Mar 11, 2011, at 12:41 PM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:

> chad <address@hidden> writes:
>> I don't understand your resistance to having the installer do the editing
>> instead of the user. This seems like a more general solution that avoids
>> some potential problems and would be useful in situations where a
>> magic directory would not (for example, where *some* configuration
>> is required but easily answered by the user).
>
> I just frown at the idea that a *user* file is edited by anyone else
> than the user, explicitly.

Emacs' configuration file has been edited automatically by emacs since
at least version 18.43 (the first version I used regularly).  Start emacs
without a .emacs file and hit `C-x n n y' and see what happens.

>> The end result seems at least as user-friendly, except perhaps in a few
>> degenerate cases. What am I missing?
>
> It's not user friendly to go edit the user file from a program in my
> book.  Like not at all.

Have you ever run any Gnome or KDE programs? I think your expectations
of `user friendly' might not match either new or experienced emacs users.

This conversation is becoming difficult for me to continue (I'm traveling),
and it doesn't seem like it's going anywhere, so I'm going to bow out now.
Thanks for working on el-get, and I hope that it all works out in the end.

*Chad