RE: bug and dev mailing lists [was: bugfix eshell/rm]

From: Drew Adams
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 14:43:43 -0800

> > E.g. bug 8219.  In this case it was Eli who cross-posted to
> > emacs-devel
>
> Please check your facts: it was Chong who posted the message that
> started that thread, and it was posted to both lists.

As a matter of fact, FWIW, I did check - precisely so that I wouldn't
misattribute the cross-posting.  I checked on the bug web site.

Apparently I did not check well enough, however.  Mille excuses.  Yes, Yidong
first cross-posted it, not you Eli.  That was the first message of the thread
after the merge of 8219 and 1242 (first message of 8219).

I scanned the mail headers from the top of the web page (where there were only
messages for bug 1242 and no cross-posting).  I apparently missed the first 8219
post and mistook your reply to that one as the first cross-posting to
emacs-devel.  It was an honest mistake on my part.

Apologies to you, Eli, in any case.

But who did the cross-posting was not really the point (not my point, anyway).
The reference was meant only as a (recent) _example_ of such cross-posting.
Anyone, including me, could have cross-posted to emacs-devel.

The point is that IMHO we should try to avoid such cross-posting.  As Glenn
said, there is a reason there are two lists.