Re: Passing flags using vc-do-command

From: Lute Kamstra
Subject: Re: Passing flags using vc-do-command
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 16:16:35 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> + (defvar vc-post-command-1-functions nil
>> +   "Hook run at the end of `vc-do-command-1'.
>> + Each function is called inside the buffer in which the command
>> + was run and is passed 4 arguments: the COMMAND, the FILE-OR-LIST,
>> + the BEFORE-FLAGS and the AFTER-FLAGS.")
>
> Do we really need that?
>
>> ! (defun vc-do-command-1 (buffer okstatus command file-or-list
>> !                    &optional before-flag-or-list &rest after-flags)
>
> I'd rather a nicer name for the new command.
> And I'd like it to address some of the other needs of backends,
> e.g. paying attention to vc-<backend>-program.  So I think we should
> look at the calls to vc-do-command (and to
> call-process/start-process/...) in backends to try and design the
> successor to vc-do-command.

I'm open to suggestions for a better name...  But maybe it's cleaner to
make an incompatible change and just replace vc-do-command.  I could
change all calls to vc-do-command in trunk, but I have no idea how many
backends exist outside the emacs repository.  Replacing vc-do-command
would also eliminate my need of a second hook variable.  What do people
say?

I could take a look at the current uses of vc-do-command / call-process
/ start-process in the various backends in trunk to see if I can
accommodate for possible other shortcomings of the current version.  But
I'd appreciate some help with that: If people could give me concrete
examples of useful additions, that would be great.

  Lute