Re: general lazy list facility for Emacs Lisp?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: general lazy list facility for Emacs Lisp?
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 16:03:45 -0400

> Just a short remark on what I've had in mind with "real" memoization: If
> elisp had closures (not clojures ;-)), then one could write memoize as
> function, just like the variant in the clojure source code below:

On a related note:
Emacs has had closures for "ever", tho it only closes over variables
that are bound by `lexical-let' (provided by CL).  Emacs-24 will have
a more integrated and efficient support for closures, by setting the
`lexical-binding' variable which makes `let' bind lexically in the same
way as in Common-Lisp.  You can try it out right now in the
`lexbind-new' branch which is pretty much ready for inclusion (mostly
lacks testing, and has currently 1 open bug apparently around eieio;
additional testers are welcome).

        Stefan