Re: url library and GnuTLS, and Emacs-issued certificates

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: url library and GnuTLS, and Emacs-issued certificates
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 15:23:15 -0400

>> How bout merging the open-protocol-stream code directly into
>> open-network-stream?  Then we can make open-protocol-stream an alias for
>> open-network-stream, and (provide 'proto-stream) in subr.el.
>
> It sounds like a workable idea to me.  Since `open-protocol-stream' is a
> superset of `open-network-stream', really, it should hopefully not break
> other third-party usages of `open-network-stream', but I think we should
> have a closer look at the `open-protocol-stream' logic to make sure
> first.
>
> But my immediate reaction is that this would be a good idea.

That's great.

There is one main snag: open-protocol-stream returns a four-element
list, (PROC GREETING CAPABILITIES TYPE), while open-network-stream
returns just PROC.

Within Gnus, the call to open-protocol-stream in nntp-open-connection
discards the other list elements anyway; but nnimap-open-connection-1
does use them.

How about if we change this by adding a :return-list parameter that
makes open-network-stream (merged from open-protocol-stream) return a
list rather than a process object?  Then, in the absence of this
parameter, only a process object would be returned.