Re: Outgoing mail defaults

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Outgoing mail defaults
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 21:22:20 +0200

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> Lars was concerned this was too complicated for the case where the user
> only wants to give a host name and everything else is unnecessary.

Yes, I think that would be the common case.

Even though this means duplicating data, somewhat, I think we should
keep normal application defaults separate from secret credentials.

If the user has said that they want to use smtp.gmail.com as the
outgoing host, that's an application default, and not a credential.  If
the user then says "yes, and use this password", then we're in
credential territory, and we have to store the smtp.gmail.com token in
~/.authinfo{.gpg}, too.

  address@hidden * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen