Re: compilation failure

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: compilation failure
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 07:25:09 -0400

> Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 08:52:38 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
>   LC_ALL=C ./temacs -batch -l loadup dump
>
> it aborts.  Calling gdb, I get the backtrace shown below.  Note that
> I'm doing a normal build without any additional options.
>

>     Werner

> #0  mark_object (arg=138477574) at alloc.c:5429
> #1  0x08195d4e in mark_maybe_pointer (p=<optimized out>) at alloc.c:4083
> #2  mark_memory (offset=0, end=0xbfffed98, start=0x841313a) at alloc.c:4133
> #3  mark_stack () at alloc.c:4381
> #4  Fgarbage_collect () at alloc.c:4966

Can you try unoptimized build (with "-O0 -ggdb -g3")?  If that crashes
as well, please show the backtrace from an unoptimized build, because
backtraces from optimized builds cannot be trusted.

Based on first glance, it crashes in GC, which means memory corruption
somewhere.  There are instructions in etc/DEBUG about how to debug
crashes in GC, so if you can follow them, please do; since this crash
is not very deep under Fgarbage_collect, I presume you will find out
the bad data structure fairly easy.

Failing that, please leave the crashed Emacs under GDB, so that we
could ask you to show important values.

If an unoptimized build does not crash, then the plot will thicken...

Btw, what version of GCC do you have on Ubuntu 10.10?