Large file support (was: oops? read/write vs type of length parameter)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Large file support (was: oops? read/write vs type of length parameter)
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 20:00:24 +0300

> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 09:47:14 -0500
>
> EZ> Of course, it doesn't!  I made that change to be able to edit a 2.7GB
> EZ> file, and after the change I actually was able to do that, whereas
> EZ> before the change, I couldn't save the file after editing it.
>
> Wait, Emacs can edit large files now?  That is great news!  I didn't see
> it in the NEWS file, thanks for doing it.  Is it documented anywhere?

First, this is only possible on a 64-bit host.  And second, we are not
there yet, although we are close, as the most basic editing already
works.  However, several bugs still remain, and I hope to work on
squashing them soon.  When it's done, there surely will be an
announcement here.

As for documentation, there's nothing to document, because we don't
document bugs we fixed ;-)