Re: nnimap-user setting?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: nnimap-user setting?
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 16:12:45 -0300

SM> Doesn't sound right: what if you have several accounts on the same
SM> IMAP server?  auto-info needs to know the username in order to find the
SM> right password.
>>> In Gnus, you'd set up multiple secondary servers with the same machine
>>> address and each one has its own nnimap-user.
SM> That's one way to do it, but not the only way.  The user may only want
SM> one of the accounts in his list of secondary servers.
> Can you give a specific example of what you mean and how it should work?
> I may be missing your point.

The autoinfo file has data for address@hidden and address@hidden, and the
user wants to setup his .gnus to connect to address@hidden and nothing
else (maybe he has another .gnus elsewhere configured to only connect
to address@hidden).

> You always put `:user nnimap-user' in the `auth-source-search' spec.
> That means that a line like "machine x password y" won't work if
> `nnimap-user' is set.  It's not annoying, just
> unnecessarily restrictive.

I'd expect a ":user nil" argument to work just like when there's
no :user keyword argument, so as long as the user doesn't set
nnimap-user the behavior should stay unchanged.

> Also if the `nnimap-user' is set it should override anything else coming
> from `auth-source-search'.  I think your patch allows it to be
> overridden.

I'm not sure what you mean here.  If I specify ":host foo.bar :user
titi" I would expect auto-source to ignore an entry for address@hidden
So either auto-source works differently than what I expect or you're
talking about another case of override.

        Stefan