Re: Redirecting standard output

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Redirecting standard output
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 21:31:58 +0200

Davis Herring <address@hidden> writes:

> You can call `pipe' more than once; the trouble comes when you have to
> choose which one to read from to avoid blocking the process.  Probably
> it's just that no one has bothered to implement it carefully enough with
> `select' or so.

Oh, I see...  I was a bit confused about how pipe worked.  Yes, that
makes sense.  Just hook up the STDERR endpoint to a pipe, too, and
you're in business.

For the MSDOS case (with STDERR-to-buffer), we'd just have to open
another temp file, just like we do with STDOUT, so that's a very minor
change.

For the non-MSDOS case, using two pipes and select shouldn't be too
difficult to implement, I think?  Or are there gotchas when using select
in Emacs?

But before embarking on that, I'd like to get some more feedback on the
existing patch.  :-)