Re: bookkeeping to prepare for a 64-bit EMACS_INT on 32-bit hosts

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: bookkeeping to prepare for a 64-bit EMACS_INT on 32-bit hosts
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 14:00:44 +0900

David De La Harpe Golden writes:

 > Meh. IMO the aim should be proper lispy bignums.

XEmacs and SXEmacs, of course, already have bignums (and I think
SXEmacs has quaternions and maybe octonions, and I think somebody is
planning to implement Robinsonian infinitesimals and transfinite
ordinals, just in case your buffers get that big or small ;-).

The problem is that they are far too slow for use in redisplay and
Mule.  So you need an intermediate, fast (enough) integer form for
those cases anyway.