Re: Strange slowness when killing words interactively

From: Taylor Venable
Subject: Re: Strange slowness when killing words interactively
Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 21:14:06 -0400

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 12:32, David De La Harpe Golden
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Is your emacs running on the same machine as the x11 server, or
> remotely?

Same machine.

> Are you running a clipboard daemon (e.g. kde klipper, xfce4-clipman) in
> your desktop environment?

Nope.

> Probably you'd have already mentioned if you were seeing similar
> symptoms in non-emacs applications that interact with the x11
> clipboard, but if you have the "xclip" command line tool available
> (arch extra package xclip, apparently), you also could see if the
> following is near instantaneous (it really should be):

I haven't noticed it, but it's more difficult to do such a rapid
succession of copy-to-clipboard operations in any other program I can
think of. Using xclip 1000 times in a tight loop in bash takes 2.2
seconds on the machine in question (where Emacs is slow, Core i7) and
6.4 seconds on my laptop (where Emacs works as expected, Core 2 Duo).
Both machines run updated Arch installations, so same version of X11
and whatnot.

Thanks,

--
Taylor C. Venable