Re: Using gnutls.c by default

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Using gnutls.c by default
Date: Sat, 07 May 2011 19:03:31 -0500

On Sat, 7 May 2011 08:05:23 -0700 "T.V. Raman" <address@hidden> wrote:

TVR> In that case, could we support slightly older versions of gnutls?
TVR> Apparently there is no prebuilt package for gnutls 2.6 on Jaunty
TVR> -- I'm going to install  it from source. But I suspect the
TVR> average user is going to get burnt.

I would rather not support old versions of GnuTLS.  I believe we
discussed this a few months ago when we were talking about callbacks.
2.6 is already very old; remember that old versions have potential
security issues so we don't want to encourage their use.

The average user will get Emacs from a distribution, not compile it
themselves.  For those who compile, either they get a recent GnuTLS
distribution or they will have to specify --without-gnutls.  I think
that's reasonable.

If you disagree, you or someone else will have to support those older
versions.  The API is quite different so it's not trivial.

Ted