Re: Delayed warnings

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Delayed warnings
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 11:15:25 -0300

>> I think it's cleaner to have a separate delayed-warnings-hook and
>> delayed-warnings-function.  The former should be nil by default, and
>> should be called prior to delayed-warnings-function.
>> In general, it's good to avoid putting default values in hook variables.
> I think that boat has sailed long ago. There are quite a few hooks
> with default values. And having to split a hook into a hook *and* a
> -function variable just to avoid the default doesn't seem too clean
> IMHO.

FWIW, I agree.  Non-nil hooks have their problem, indeed, but the worse
problem does not affect hooks that are preloaded and the second worse
only affects the use of Custom to configure such hooks, so for
non-defcustom preloaded hooks I think we can live with non-nil default
values, as evidenced by my "recent" introduction of
post-self-insert-hook.

        Stefan