startup-screen-inhibit-startup-screen button

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: startup-screen-inhibit-startup-screen button
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 17:34:56 -0300

I find the following slightly confusing, but am not sure how best to
improve it:

Our startup message ends with

  "Dismiss this startup screen   <box> Never show it again"

And the way to dismiss it for good is to click in the box and then click
o the "Dismiss" thing that looks like a link.

Now, if I click in the box but don't click on the "Dismiss"
(e.g. I leave by hitting `q' or by selecting something else) nothing
happens, even though it seems clear that the user probably intended to
save the "never show it again" preference.

The link between the box button and the "Dismiss" link is reminiscent of
common UI dialogs with "don't show this again" box and an
"exit/ok/confirm" button, but I don't think it's close enough to work
well: our startup screen is not a dialog box, and the "Dismiss" link is
not very much like an "ok/exit/confirm" button.

        Stefan