Re: md5 broken?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: md5 broken?
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 12:12:19 -0700

On 05/28/11 09:55, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> "Builds" is not enough.  We also want to assure that every compiler
> that supports inline functions really sees the inline keyword there.

No, "#define inline /* empty */" is a perfectly adequate workaround.
This is the standard workaround on typical older hosts, and it
doesn't break anything, as the C Standard allows compilers to
ignore 'inline' entirely (on static functions, anyway, which is
what we're talking about here).

>> > so it does appear that it works with all supported builds.
> There's also the Windows build, which still supports non-GCC
> compilers.

Evidently it's not a significant problem with Windows, since it's been
in use for over a month without complaint.  If there turns
out to be a problem with some rarely-used ancient Windows compiler,
the Windows configuration file can just add a
"#define inline /* empty */" if that compiler is in use.