converting octal escape sequences to utf-8 and back

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: converting octal escape sequences to utf-8 and back
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 19:27:51 -0500

I am trying to use emacs to interface with a program that treats
utf-8 characters in its input and output as octal escape sequences.
So the program's output contains ascii strings like "\302\247",
which I want to display within Emacs as "§". Likewise, I want to
feed text containing utf-8 characters such as "§" into this program.
So I need to convert these utf-8 characters back to their respective
octal escape sequences. What is the proper way to achieve this?

Thanks a lot,

Roland